Sunday, April 1, 2012

Why God Why? No seriously, I want an actual answer.

     It has been a long time since we have written a blog, it has been a really hard few weeks, and we were very distracted. On March 14th a friend of mine, she was the girlfriend of my youngest brother in law, she died in a car wreck. She had been 18 for a month, upon receiving the news, after the denial, I decided God was a jerk. I know this sounds awful, and I am over feeling like that now, but I'll be honest, I blamed Him. I didn't understand how a beautiful wonderful girl like that could just die. It sounds silly because at my age is should be apparent that sometimes people die, but this one seemed especially brutal. My brother in law has grown into such a wonderful person that I just sort of expected life to come easy for him.
     I have never lost a friend, I have had a few be fairly horrifically injured in car wrecks, but in the end they survived. The driver of the car, a girl I didn't know, was badly injured, the other 2 passengers were also injured, one minorly, the other fairly severely, but he is okay. I just keep thinking about this girl, who is barely 16, sitting in a hospital room, blaming herself. I guess I would too, but if we are honest with ourselves we all know that we have done silly things. I've sped, when I was a teenager I went 100 everywhere (not literally, but yeah, my speedometer hit 100 more than twice). I hate to think that this child has to carry this around with her for the rest of her life. I hope and pray that this girl gains some measure of comfort over time, and forgives herself.
     In these situations why is such a common question, sadly there is NO answer, no one knows, if you are religious you have to believe that God had some motive or reasoning. If you aren't religious I don't know what you do. In my head right now though, there is NO reason, nothing at all can explain to me why things like this happen. Adding to this situation is stress in my home life, money problems, and school. I've gotten to the point where I just don't know what I'm doing anymore.
     From anger, to prayer, to anger again, I get no answer. It's frustrating, I am struggling to continue believing that this will somehow work out for the better. One thing has helped me though, it is oddly a quote from Charlotte's Facebook page (the friend who passed away) I don't know where the quote came from, but it goes like this "Everything will be ok in the end, if it isn't ok, it isn't the end." Another quote off her page also struck me as poignant, it seemed oddly fitting in this situation "
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, angels nor demons, neither the present or the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Again I don't know where the original quote came from.
     I really do think things will turn out okay, but at the moment I'm not at all enjoying the journey. If nothing else this death is a precautionary tale to show us all that we should let people know how we feel, and that death can happen at any time. Through my life I have frequently struggled with anger at God, my own idea that I am entitled to anything gets in my way. The fact is we are entitled to nothing, not money, not happiness, and not even life. It is all a gift, Atheist, Christian, Wiccan, or Jew, we all have the ability to help out others and make ourselves happy.
    I know this blog is pretty scattered, but I am having a hard time organizing my ideas, thanks for staying with me. I hope things get better soon for everyone, I will be praying for it, and doing my best to add action to my prayers...

4 comments:

  1. "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, and I blog about religion :). It's a beautiful verse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sara,

    When a mother admonishes her child to stop watching too much television, at that moment the child may not realize its importance. It may be that only when he reaches adulthood, gets a nice job, a nice house that he realizes what his mother taught him was for his own best.

    I completely understand your position Sara, the pain you must have gone through as your friend passed away. I personally have never experienced such a situation and with God's will hopefully, I never will. However, in my opinion it is an undeniable fact that every single person, no matter how wealthy he is (Bill Gates), no matter what his position is (President) has ups and downs in his life. Some less so and others more so.

    It is often said by critics that why is it that if God is Benevolent, Omniscient and Omnipotent, suffering exists in this world. To me the above analogy is satisfying. To God, the most important thing for us humans is our purpose of existence and hereafter which holds far more importance than this life, considered minuscule. For many faiths such as Islam, the purpose of life is worship of God. Now worship opens up many aspects and dealings in our lives. This includes holding God before every enjoyment in our lives, or leaving trust in God when things are not going well in life and keeping Him in your remembrance. Now if we did not have suffering in our lives how is it possible to bring the best out of us, or to have faith in God? What else is the meaning of faith if not to put trust in God in times of bad happenings? To a believer religion would serve no purpose if there is no suffering.

    Imagine a life without sorrow, without anger. There will be no such thing as Happiness, or laughter. Once you remove the South pole, there cannot be a North pole. If we had no negative numbers, would we take the positive numbers as positive?

    Finally I would recommend reading this "The Question of Suffering" http://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_2_section_6.html by our late Caliph, Mirza Tahir Ahmad (atba). God will indeed answer your prayers if you pray day and night asking for His guidance. It require a lot of patience :)

    God be with you :)

    @Peaceworld111

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of this post was written out of spur of the moment sorrow. I figure much of it was wanting someone to blame. I enjoy your comment, and it is odd that my husband said much the same thing about the evils of this world. It is such a common question, why would an all knowing God allow evil and suffering. From it come progress, knowledge, and strong bonds. Thanks for reading, and for your intelligent and kind words :)

      Delete